History is definitely one of those subjects that I love to teach. In fact, we love it so much in our homeschool that we usually do a family trip around what we study for history. I believe history is a subject that shows forth the amazing grace of God throughout the ages. To me history is just that… HIS story! Even though we see man fail, triumph, win, and lose… throughout it all we can see God’s hand.
As we look at learning history in the homeschool, however, there are many great ways to teach this subject and instill a love of history into your children. Here are just a few methods that work great for teaching homeschool history.
1) Literature study – this method involves getting as many good books as you can on the subject that you are studying and read this books together, or separately if your student is in highschool
2) Time Line – this method is great if you are wanting to study the history of the world since the beginning. Using a master time line – one that you can put up around your school room or your child’s room is very effective!
3) Using a pre-made history curriculum. You can find these in a variety of methods. This is often the easiest to begin with. You can use this to “get your feet wet” and then jump into your own ideas as you feel more confident.
4) Notebooking is probably my very favorite method to teach/learn history. We use this in conjunction with other methods, but it is very effective in helping the student remember what they have learned!
5) Unit Study is a great way to learn about history while incorporating all your favorite learning methods into one. You can use literature study in your unit study while you base it all on a notebooking approach. The unit study simply means that you are studying one section of history in depth for a set amount of time.
There are, in fact, a few really great free homeschool history curriculum offerings out there. One I just recently found is the Guesthollow American History. If you have older students, there are several great free history curriculum offerings for High Schoolers.
US History – free textbook online
A Biography of America – free online at Annenburg Media
Hippocampus Selection of History Courses for Free – online
Below is a graphic categorizing some really great homeschool history curriculum. All of these courses can be purchased through various homeschool book retailers.